Deutsche Messe

History

In the aftermath of the Second World War, the military government in the British-U.S. bi-zone argued that exports rather than resignation offered a way out of economic devastation. Despite dire conditions, the country should mobilize resources and start exporting quality goods. Once back on its feet, the country could pay war reparations and ease the burden on Britain and the USA.

As a result of a British initiative it was decided to organize the first Export Fair, and in hindsight it was a blessing that the British overruled the initial objections and skepticism of the Germans. The proposed location – Düsseldorf – had rejected the idea.

As a result Deutsche Messe- und Ausstellungs-AG was set up in Hannover, and millions worth of investment were pumped into the war-damaged city. The starting capital for the trade fair company alone was 1.2 million Reich marks.

The organizers were able to report that the first Export Fair was a great success. Between 18 August and 7 September 1947, a total of 1934 export orders valued at 31.6 million U.S. dollars were taken at the exhibition grounds.

Deutsche Messe AG is represented all over the world and established 9 subsidiaries and 2 branch offices. With an area of about 1 million square meters, half of them indoor exhibition space, we own the largest fairground in the world in Hannover, Germany.

For the last three decades Deutsche Messe AG has been present in Mexico, first through a representation, and from 2016 with a subsidiary, Hannover Fairs Mexico, established in the country’s capital. The year 2017 marks the debut of Hannover Fairs Mexico in the organization of events, with the trade fairs: Magna Expo Mueblera and BITS Mexico powered by CeBIT.